Golden Circle and whale watching
A combination of two of the most popular activities for a trip to Iceland.
Duration: 10,5 Hours
Book online and get instant reservation confirmation
For an unforgettable action-packed day, take Iceland´s most iconic tours. Head out to the Golden Circle, and afterwards to sea for some whale watching. The Golden Circle is a combination of three of Iceland´s natural wonders! Þingvellir National Park, where the continental plates are parting (also where the world´s first parliament formed). The spectacular spouting geyser, Strokkur and the powerful Gullfoss Waterfall that pours into a deep canyon. This tour showcases some of Iceland's most picturesque countryside and raw nature. Departures for the Golden Circle Tour are at 08:30 and 10:00 and the tour lasts approx. 7 hours.
Our whale watching trip is at 17:00. Those going on the 08:30 Golden Circle Tour will have an hour-and-a-half before boarding the whale watching boat. This is a perfect opportunity to explore the old harbour, or explore the nearby areas. In the bay a large variety of whales, dolphins and birds are often seen. Like us they enjoy the long days and bright nights of the Icelandic summer. We have over 15 years experience guiding and operating whale watching tours in the bay. You can be certain that we love and respect the whales and other wildlife. We always bear in mind the wellbeing of the whales and we are also active participants in the protection and research of whales. All our whale watching tours start from our ticket office on the Ægisgarður pier at the Old Harbour in Reykjavík. Your whale watching guide will meet you in our Whale Watching Centre, located on board an old fishing vessel docked at the pier.
Starting off in Reykjavik from our Reykjavik terminal at Skógarhlíð 10 we will depart for Þingvellir, a 45-60 minute ride.
The tour starts with Þingvellir National Park, the UNESCO World Heritage Site. Here you walk down the path into a rift valley and admire the view while learning about Icelandic history.
- The next stop is at Geysir Hot Springs, the home of the one-and-only original geyser and Iceland’s most iconic natural attraction. Steaming hot water erupts from the famous Strokkur Geyser every few minutes.
- The last stop is Gullfoss Waterfall, an awesome sight to behold. Here a powerful glacial river cascades down 32 meters on two levels and into a narrow canyon with a thunderous roar.
We then drive you back to Reykjavik where you will be dropped off in the Old Harbor of Reykjavik at the headquarters of Elding Whale Watching. Usually, you arrive at 15:00 and you have about 1.5 hours to explore the Old Harbor before setting out to sea at 17:00.
- This tour is 11 hours long including travel time and the time you spend at each location. You spend at least 45 minutes at the major stops giving you plenty of time to enjoy nature and to take some pictures.
Total distance covered: 290 km or 180 mi
- Please show up at our Reykjavik Terminal (located at Skógarhlíð 10) 15 minutes prior to the departure time. We kindly ask you to be ready at your pick-up point with your voucher, either in digital or printed form.
- If you have booked a hotel pickup with Smartbus™, please be at your chosen pickup location 30 minutes before the departure of the tour. Look for the Green Smartbus™ which will be outside your accommodation within 30 minutes of pickup.
- You will be traveling in a coach that holds approximately 40-65 people, but is very spacious and comfortable. The bus offers free wifi and USB charging ports.
- Please note, it will not be possible to refund this tour in the event of an unsuccessful Whale Watching Tour. However, you may re-book the tour and continue coming back on subsequent tours until you have a chance to see whales.
- Available all year round (depending on weather)
- Pricing: Teenagers 12-15 years 50% off & children 0-11 years old free
- Age limit: No age limit
- Bring with you: Dress according to the weather. In Iceland it is always smart to dress in warm and waterproof clothes, weather changes are swift so expect the unexpected. Bring a waterproof jacket and pants, headwear and gloves. Good outdoor shoes are recommended.*
- In-Bus-Audio-Guide: We recommend that you bring your own headphones, simply because they will fit you best. It is also great for the environment. If you don't have your headphones, with you or forgot to bring them, no worries we sell earphones on board.
- Duration: Approx. 10 hours including a minimum 30-minute stop at Geysir Hot Springs, Gullfoss Waterfall and Þingvellir National Park and approx. Total distance covered: 290 km or 180 mi. The Whale Watching Tour is approx 3 hours
- *If you don’t have warm clothing we will supply you with a very warm overall and more gear, as well as having some sweaters to lend on the Whale watching boat.
- In-bus audio guide with a choice of 10 languages (English, French, German, Dutch, Italian, Spanish, Chinese, Japanese, Korean and Finnish)
- Knowledgeable local guide
- Admission to the sights
- Free Wi-Fi and USB-charger for each seat
- Our specially modified whale watching boats all have big viewing decks as well as indoor facilities such as a cafeteria and toilets.
- Access to the Whale Watching Centre
- Wireless internet on board
- “Whale Guarantee” If we find no whales on your tour you get another free try on our classic Whale watching tour.
What do I need to bring
For the In-Bus-Audio-Guide: Bring your own headphones. Otherwise headphones are available for purchase in every bus from our hosts.
For your comfort: Dress according to weather. In Iceland it is always wise to dress in warm waterproof clothes. Weather changes can be sudden so be prepared for all weather conditions. Waterproof jacket and pants, headwear and gloves, and warm socks/waterproof shoes are recommended.
For whale watching: it is often colder on sea than on land, so be sure to bring extra clothing if you feel necessary. However, if you don't have warm clothing we will supply you with a very warm overall and more gear for the whale watching tour, as well as having some sweaters to lend on the Whale watching boat.