With crampons on foot and ice axe in hand, get intimate with the ancient ice formations of Europe's largest glacier!
After exploring Iceland's glaciers for over a decade with visitors from around the world we quickly found that it´s just not the same to look at an ice fall cascading down from a 2000m high caldera from a distance. You need to be in it to fully appreciate the force and size. We created the Explorer trip to give our guests this experience.
Guided Glacier Hike
Certified Glacier Guide
Specialized Glacier Gear
All Necessary Safety Equipment
- Waterproof jacket and pants (We do have rental clothing available)
- Hiking boots (Available for rent, 1500 isk. We advise against runners or any type of shoe that comes up below the ankle bone as the straps on the crampons can get a bit painful during the walk)
-Light sweater, wool or fleece
- Light synthetic or quick dry pants (Try and stay clear of jeans on the longer trips as they get wet & cold quickly and dry slowly)
- Thin Gloves
- Small Backpack (Can be handy to carry a camera, rain gear and all extras)
- Sunglasses and sun protection (It can get quite bright on the ice with the reflection)
- Food and drinks (Lunch is not provided on any of our trips. June - September there is plenty of fresh water on the glacier so bring a bottle)
- Camera (If you forget everything else don´t forget that)
Why book with GetLocal?Our promise is to offer great products and superior customer service. If you need to cancel, make changes or help planning your vacation you can count on us to be there by your side.